47,000 Miles on the very 1st design
On the original mountaineer with the original design fix the vehicle started to act up again at 47,000 miles of city driving. The original design has been updated with a larger front O-Ring and the grooves were optimized to eliminate damage during installation. The upper heat shield was removed and with a 90 degree needle nose and about an hours worth of time the updated design was installed and the vehicle is back to perfect shifts again. I expect to get 50,000 on this new part for a City Driver. If it fails again at 50k or so we will just pop it out and put a new set of o-rings on it. Currently there is 70,000 miles on test vehicle since the fix was 1st installed.
Tim From RI
Good news!! The OD servo was installed today and all shifts are smooth and crisp. I can't thank you enough for this solution. You can bet the dealer would've wanted to rebuild everything for 3 grand. I tried to do it myself by just removing the heat shields but I couldn't get the old part out and I really didnt want to remove the exhaust and cross member. So I took it to a local garage and in 2 hours and $150 later they had it installed. Not sure how they did it but I bet their lift helped!!
thx again. feel free to use me as a testimonial and i am telling all my fellow explorer members as well."
I always try to come up with new ways to do the job. I recently was playing around with a better way to get the snap rings out. I modified a 45 degree needle nose to 90 degrees. When you compress the cap in one of two ways (Block, Pry Bar, and Bungee Cord or Block, Pry Bar, and pressing between the sheet metal and converter), then compress the snap ring with the needle nose or snap ring tool. While holding the ring compressed, gradually release the pressure on the cap. The pressue from the return spring should push the cap out on the opposite side of the snap ring grooves. When fully released the top of the ring should stay out of the groove. Then just take a pick or small screwdriver and pry it out from the top. You may have to work around the diameter a bit. That is it and it works great!
I am going to be coming up with the recommended needle nose to do the work and probably sell them on my site. If I cannot find the right one I will modify ones I know I can get a hold of.
Along with this, I strongly recommend modifying the snap ring after you have it out. The snap ring originally has an angle that leads down to a radius corner. If you take a small file or a Dremel Tool and make it a sharp corner, and also angle it back towards the split in the ring a bit. Basically with the needle nose I used after doing this you can put it on the ring and compress it and it no longer slips off. You can test the modification one whatever tool you are using to make sure it works.
Also, if you every have a oring wear out, there it a 90% chance it will be the inner one on the OD servo. To fix it I would just remove the upper heat shield and follow the directions from there.
Some very good and highly recommended tips.
My name is Andy and we have been selling this fix since February 2010. Lots of success with it I may add. It is working for almost 100% of the people who tried it. Feel free to comment on the blog and I will try to update it when I think there is something good to share.Please take our survey if you have used our product as the detail in it will help us serve our customers better.